Although carrying nothing like the weight they once did, meta tags are still important and cannot be ignored.
Good meta tags help your pages rank well in most search engines, and with the exception of Google, which creates its own abstracts, are essential in attracting visitors from the description you provide.
Because they tend to be less advanced, meta tags can be especially important for local and second tier search engines, some of which will not list web pages at all if they don't contain kewords and description meta tags.
Note that you need to have completed your keyword research before you are ready to use the meta tag maker below.
Tips for making meta tags:
- Always include your most important keywords in your page title as well as in your meta tags.
- Type your most important keywords first in the 'keywords' field below. Put the least important words last.
- Don't repeat any keyword more than 3 times.
- Don't use any keyword that does not appear in the text of your page.
- Use all of your keywords in your description, with the most important ones occurring first.
- Use level 1 and level 2 headings (H1 and H2 tags) that incorporate your most important keywords. Put them at the top of your page if possible.
- Use text similar to that of your description as close to the top of the page as you can.